GWR 2884 class locomotive, No 3850, sits at Minehead station as it's given a wash down before a hard days work, pulling passenger trains during the WSR 2012 Spring Gala
The 2884 class was a modification of the GWR 2-8-0 heavy freight engines, first built in 1903. They featured different cabs and external pipes from the smoke-box to the cylinders.
During service they would typically be seen seen hauling heavy mineral trains, a role they reined supreme in for the best part of 60 years. The 2884 variation proved to be so popular that even as late of 1956, the Western region wanted to build more of them. This never happened though, as the region was instead allocated BR 9F Class engines